For all your building needs visit our DPO site today.
Five Things You Need To Consider Before Installing Insulation
We’ll keep this short. There are five things you should be considering before you install any insulation.
Ok, there are a few more things, but these are the five safety and protection considerations you should start with.
- Clothing: wear long sleaves and long pants so that you don’t experience any itch from handling insulation
- Eyes: wear clear goggles or glasses
- Hands: wear gloves when handling insulation. Glass insulation can have glass fibres, and a glass fibre splinter is unpleasant
- Equipment: have a knife for cutting, a bottle of water to keep you hydrated and a sturdy ladder to access your ceiling
- Power: turn off your electricty at the switchboard before you get in your roof
But wait, there’s more
Some other things to consider:
- How big is your manhole? Can the compressed bags of insulation fit or will you need to open the bags and pass up individual batts into the roof cavity
- Have you picked the right time of day to install? Working in a roof cavity in the middle of the day can get pretty hot. Try working at night if possible
- It is safer to over-estimate how much you need. You can always ‘double up’ your batts in your ceiling. This is a better situation than finding out you are 3 batts short